Thursday, May 04, 2006

Well, that didn't work...

I notice that Eric made a decent comment about my recent rant on the decline of the desktop.

Now, I've tried xfce a couple of times in the past, but it has similarities to CDE that have always put me off. But I've never tried fluxbox (although I did try blackbox back in the day).

So I thought it deserved a try. Downloaded and installed it (which was fine apart from the usual problems).

I started it up, and everything seemed unusually sluggish. That's odd, this is supposed to be light and fast. I then made the mistake of clicking on the background and selecting 'About'. This sent the whole thing into a tailspin. 4G of memory usage later and my machine is like stuck in treacle.

Worth a try, but I think I have to write that one off.

I'm leaning back towards windowmaker. (Anyone know which black hole the windowmaker website has disappeared down at the moment?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...maybe you should try windowmaker.info .I was also wandering, but somehow I found the way.

Greets