Monday, May 15, 2006

Old dog, new tricks

I've decided it's time to learn a few new tricks.

The first trick I'm trying to learn is PHP. I'm used to java and JSP pages (although these modern new-fangled frameworks do nothing for me), but there seem to lots of web-based applications out there using PHP, and if I'm going to install and maintain some of them, I ought to understand how the language works.

The second trick is Ruby on Rails. The promise of simplicity is very appealing to me. That agrees with my systems philosophy - KISS.

(More generally, the more completely you can understand a system, the better the chance you have of making it work properly.)

After a few trails and tribulations, I've now got both software stacks up and running. Off to try a few examples...

1 comment:

Jak said...

PHP is a very good language to learn; not had much experience with Ruby; hear its good also. Ruby is the more newer of the two but I think PHP at this moment is more used and more developed.

If you need any help, feel free to messsage me.