Monday, May 15, 2006

Flimsy fans?

Anyone having trouble with the main fans ("rear fan 1") in a W2100z?

We've got 3 W2100z boxes at work, from two different batches. Even the oldest one is only a year old.

Now all 3 have had the main fan die, needing hardware replacement. The system is dead while waiting for a new fan to show up, which is somewhat annoying.

(No, it's not the old BIOS problem.)

Still, my old SunBlade 2000 had its disk die today, so sparc boxes aren't immune. This means I'm temporarily without a system running a nevada build - I shall have to go root around in the dumpster tomorrow to see if there are any spare FCAL drives left.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have two W2100z and both have gone through 4 fans in about a year. Not sure what I am going to do about it - email me at jfargen@eng.usf.edu if you have any suggestions.